“Physical security is currently undergoing its most significant shift that the industry has seen in decades practitioners who choose to leverage traditional practices and mainstream technologies will fail to make the critical transition.”
– D6 Research Annual Physical Security Assessment Report
INDUSTRY PARADIGM SHIFT & IMPACT
In contrast to their information security counterparts, physical security managers are encountering increased budget constraints while facing pressure to overcome perceptions of being a persistent cost center. They need to figure out ways to demonstrate their security program’s value by delivering contributions to non-security stakeholders that can be measured – and validated. The key to doing this isn’t a secret – information security went through the same challenge and subsequent transformation over the past decade.
D6 Insight: Key lessons learned from the Annual Physical Security Assessment Report:
- Defining security by outcomes and impact vs. infrastructure and function improvements
- Adopt standards and interoperability to decrease obsolescence and operationalize best practices.
- Build controls around threats and prioritize budgets around impact and likelihood.
- Engage with executives to provide visibility into measurable impact, priority, and outcomes.
A side effect of being more engaged to make their case, physical security departments will be required to dismantle the silo they’ve traditionally operated in favor of transparency. By doing so, they’ll need to conform to the same expectations and operating principles that have long been standard for other departments. While lessons are similar, details of how to best execute are vastly different between proprietary systems, industry channel models, common practices, focus of the type of assets, and a variety of other factors. End users will need in-depth and actionable insights tailored to navigate the complexity.
ASSESSMENT OF VENDORS: IMPACT AND PREPAREDNESS
These events will force enterprise practitioners to repudiate common practices, traditional solutions, how they select and consume products and services. In short, physical security is currently undergoing its most significant shift that the industry has seen in decades. Key findings from D6 Research’s Annual Physical Security Report is that practitioners who choose to leverage traditional practices and technologies will fail to change the perceptions of their corporate stakeholders and successfully transition into the new paradigm.
D6 Insight: Key transition findings from the Annual Physical Security Assessment Report:
- Pressure to adopt the same metrics as information security and accountability for performance.
- Institution of governance that fosters appropriate controls, execution, and validation
- Transition technology operations into IT Ops process, principles, and tools.
- Leverage the maturity of core information security& governance principles to improve best practices
CHALLENGES WITH INFORMATION SOURCES AND AUTHORITIES IN PHYSICAL SECURITY
Trade Organizations and Certifications
Certifications focus on knowledge and practices – not strategy. They struggle to iterate at the rapid pace of change that the industry is facing. Many certifications still carry forward deficient practices.
Physical Security Analysts
The physical security industry has struggled in this area. Either they’re focused on unit shipments or accept payment to write “research” that fits a predefined narrative. We believe this model is deceptive for end users and unfair vendors-at-large.
Media Magazines and Articles
Many are useful, but the model itself is constrained by choosing brevity over depth. The content is too often submitted by the same vendors they rely on for advertising revenue or lack validation.
Conferences are great! But too often education tracks are constrained by space, time, and logistics. There is only so much that can be covered in an hour. Most are based on opinion rather than research.
Assessment: D6 Research Viewpoint
The impending industry changes represent a high level of complexity that overshadows the capability of the existing information sources. D6 Research aims to change this by focusing on core challenges and improvement models.
D6 RESEARCH VISION AND MISSION
Anticipating this evolution, Terry Gold founded D6 Research® in 2014 with the vision of providing practitioners the most credible, in-depth, and actionable, insights industry. The mission is to provide foresight to challenges in an increasingly complex industry and bring clarity to navigate through disruptions using new approaches.
Our research is focused around transforming what security programs should achieve rather than following common practice models that serve as blueprints for silos, limitations and concede to those that have been too difficult to solve. Our dedication to in-depth research decreases the burden on internal resources and narrows the scope of work assigned to consultants.
CREDIBILITY AND NEUTRALITY
Central to everything we do is achieving trustworthiness across the entire industry. Beyond just a statement, we’ve built our business model to limit conflicts of interest. We’re transparent about what we research, how we do it and give clients access to our analysts to field questions and concerns. D6 never payments or in-kind donations to influence our research outcomes. And we never participate in direct or indirect arrangements where we could benefit from a research position.
CORE PRINCIPLES TO OUR RESEARCH APPROACH
- Transparency around scope, objectives, and assessment methodology.
- Neutrality in our research process, interactions, and findings.
- The research considers a broad range of viewpoints for investigation.
- Analysts are subject domain experts.
- Concentration on forward-looking concepts and transformational outcomes.
- Read full details here: https://d6research.com/research/
WHAT’S IN A D6 RESEARCH REPORT?
|ANALYSIS AREA||ANALYSIS OUTPUT|
|MARKET||Current-state, deficiencies, cause & effect, predictions|
|TECHNOLOGY||Use cases, segmentation, evolution, pitfalls, dependencies, vendor landscape|
|PRACTICES||Requirements advisory, deployment & migration strategy, phasing, validation|
|METRICS||Cost analysis, reduction strategy, survey & consensus analysis|
BENEFITS OF SUBSCRIBING TO D6 RESEARCH REPORTSESEARCH BENEFITS
|RESEARCH BENEFITS||PLAN BENEFITS|
|o We get unique access to real-world data||o Pay only for topics of interest and # of licenses.|
|o Visibility beyond your you customers & resources||o Access to research analyst to answer questions|
|o Insights into cyber resiliency built into all reports.||o Analyst access time included for regular calls|
|o Understand how your viewpoints stack up||o Annual subscription; content never goes stale.|
|*Content from reports available for marketing integration and redistribution.|
|**Average Length: 50-200; Ranges based on topic, scope, depth, and demands for maintaining updates.|
REPORT VERSIONS & LICENSING
- Each report is sold separately as an annual subscription (volume discounts available).
- Receive notifications to download updated copies (corrections, new entrants, shifts, etc.)
- Reports have a “base price”, including licenses, and additional licenses is a percentage of the base.
- Renewals are always at 20% discount (even if our published prices go up).
Corporate End User Version
- Geared toward practitioners; full market coverage
- Focused on end-user challenges, improvements, success models.
- Includes 1 user license (add desired #).
- Internal use only.
- Geared toward vendors & solution providers.
- Focused on end-user challenges and response considerations.
- Includes 5 user license (add desired #).
- License to redistribute/publish content
REPORT AVAILABILITY & INFORMATION
- See our full research pipeline: https://d6research.com/research/research-pipeline/
- Abbreviated descriptions below. See full abstracts & tables of content: https://d6research.com/shop/
|CORPORATE END USER VERSIONS||VENDOR VERSIONS|
o Status: Available via pre-sale now.
The physical security market is entering an evolutionary phase that will completely redefine best practices, developments, and the vendor landscape. Traditional practices and solutions will fade in their effectiveness and the impact will be far reaching for everyone – end users, vendors, channels, and even external stakeholders. While some changes are already visible, many are abstract and out of plain view; though well underway. This research report provides visibility into the current state of technology, practices, dynamics forcing significant changes, and how the market is evolving in response.
o Status: Available in eStore
|Implanting chips in humans for such purposes has existed in various forms for a couple of decades within the confines of hobbyist and “biohacker” communities. However, vendors are developing productized solutions for mainstream consumer and corporate use and media have taken interest in exploring the concept, but only in context of its novelty – not real-world application and feasibility. D6 Research analyzes human chip implant technology in context of deployment within enterprise organizations for the purposes of employee identification credentials as applied to physical and logical access use cases.|
o Status: Available via pre-sale now.
|This research report is focused for end users and integrators to understand the variety of technology, trends, differences, and compatibility across the growing options from low to high frequency, smart card and mobile. Also looks at core infrastructure, compatibility, migration and vulnerability exposures across, readers, controllers and protocols. A full vendor and technology landscape assessment is included.|
o Status: Available via pre-sale now.
|While most were cautious only a couple of years ago, nearly all vendors are jumping in to offer their own mobile solution. This research report investigates mobile credentials in physical security in terms of possibilities, actual current state capability segmentation, vendor approaches, what they get right and what they get wrong. Covers cyber security vulnerabilities, compatibility, deployment, and complex use cases beyond just opening doors.|
Researching and publishing these reports takes months and significant resources. To ease some of the expenses associated with the infrastructure and publishing, we offer substantial pre-sale incentives within a month of publication. Once they’re published, they’re at full price.
Note: August and September promotions are not publicly advertised.
Through June 15th
- All pre-release reports are 10% off
- Buy a 2nd report, get 20% (on both reports)
HOW TO PURCHASE
Directly from D6 eStore, www.d6research/shop. However, for specific promotions that aren’t advertised, call us so we can generate a specific discount code that matches the reports, versions, and number of licenses.
- You can visit our FAQ central page: https://d6research.com/resources/faq-central/
- Contact us directly: 213-341-0433 or email@example.com