- An Industry Challenge
- The physical security industry has long been influenced by vendors and their respective channels in developing and advising solutions, implementations and standards. Increasingly, end users are searching for information free of influence that doesn’t align with their goals, evolving fiduciary responsibilities, and how they measure success. Further, vendors don’t have equal “war chests” to spend on marketing and impose greater influence but instead desire some equal ground for analysis based purely on merit. The industry has had few analysts. Traditional firms neither cover nor have the expertise in physical security and those that have lacked expertise, focus for end users, and core elements of neutrality to serve them.
- Neutrality By Design
- D6 Research was founded on the principle of vendor neutrality. Our entire business model, from where we get revenue to how we conduct our research, is built around core values that support executing this vision. Truthfully, it would be much easier (and more profitable) to have designed it a differently. However, the research would be of lesser quality, our contributions to the industry wouldn’t be as significant, and ultimately, we’d be building a bridge backwards rather than forward – for others to cross. We believe the future of the industry isn’t imposed by vendors, but rather from end users that hone their competency, impose freedom of choice, and demand transformational outcomes.
- Core Principles
- Executing neutrality and earning trust requires transparency to supporting core values that we live by. We believe that not only end users deserve neutral information, but vendors also deserve fairness when they’re evaluated. This means that all vendors are measures the same way, against the same inclusion and scope criteria, regardless of their budgets. In fact, at D6, no vendors pay any fees for inclusion, increased visibility, or position in our research. We conduct research responsibly, respectfully, as thoroughly as possible while being transparent about how we’re doing it.
- Establishing Trust & Integrity
- We believe that research can’t be useful if it can’t be trusted. That trust extends beyond the brand and into the practice so that all stakeholders in the industry recognize the integrity behind our data and analysis. Therefore, we have processes for how we interact and what we disclose to vendors during the research process to ensure accuracy, consideration of viewpoints, but validation to ensure prevent any undue influence into the final research products.
… And Details Matter
In order to maintain trust in the community we serve, we limit our engagement to activities that don’t produce conflicts of interest. These are just a few operating principles that we abide by while conducting business. See our FAQ if you have questions, or submit your own – we’ll get them answered.